09 10

Tuesday, 25 July 2017

Rhapsodic by Laura Thalassa | Suspiciously Similar to Sarah J Maas' ACOMAF {Yomna's Review}


My Rating: 2.5/5

No Spoilers!

Firstly, I would just like to say that I am not here to tear down anyone's work. It takes a lot of hard-work, dedication, and courage to write a book and I completely respect that. However, this book was eerily similar to ACOMAF, to the point where I felt that it was basically the same book. 

I was very intrigued by the synopsis because I thought it had the same vibe as ACOMAF, however I did not expect at all that I would be reading the exact same plot. There are so many similarities it gets ridiculous. The things that could've made this book original, like the siren, the bargains and the paranormal setting were kind of side happenings to the ACOMAF part of the plot. Now, I don't know if this author has read ACOMAF, and the similarities may have just been from the fact that they are both loosely based on Hades and Persephone, but I think the similarities went wayyy beyond that and this fact unfortunately prevented me from really enjoying the book. Because they were so similar, I was constantly comparing this book to ACOMAF (which I consider perfection) so this book became an inferior version of ACOMAF in my head. 



For the most part, I didn't care about the main character. She didn't feel really that badass to me because there is little time to really know her outside the romance in the book. I also felt that there was just too much romance to the point where everything else felt really insignificant and not a big deal (never thought I'd ever say a book had too much romance). I feel like the rest of the plot was just there as an ornament. In my opinion danger was evaded too easily so I couldn't really take it seriously.

Overall, I just feel like this book had so much potential that it didn't live up to. The story of a siren who got carried away making too many deals with a dark king and now has to pay back at a dangerous price is such an interesting synopsis and has endless intrigue. I'm sorely dissappointed and do not plan to continue this series. 

Thanks,
Yomna

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Srishti and Yomna Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Srishti and Yomna.

Back to Top